First of all, I found out about an ancient DMC embroidery-series with really nice designs. I know embroidery is considered ridiculously nerdy, but, you know, whatever. Bought one via Marktplaats, the 5th 'Point de Croix' volume from the 1920s, which features really oldschool tennis players, little red riding hood and some nice floral designs.
When I tried to find out the date of publication, I found this wonderful site called the Antique Pattern Library. Lots of patterns in PDF, all from the 1800s onwards.
The second book I bought this week is in Dutch, or to be more precise: in Belgian. It's called 'De Man Die Zijn Baard Liet Groeien' (in English: 'The Man Who Grew His Beard') by the Belgian artist Olivier Schrauwen. His style could be categorized as 'crappy', as he does himself, but somehow all the crappy little drawings combine into a colorful, disturbing, entertaining and mindblowing whole.



Then, to conclude, I found a 60s guide book to the South of England, with a beautiful cover illustration by the Dutch illustrator and graphic designer Kees Kelfkens (1919-1986). The book recommends hotels and speaks of tranquil campsites that probably don't exist anymore, but still.

Never heard of Kelfkens before, but as it turns out I do own a postcard with one of his illustrations on it: a cat and a book on a chair (originally a poster for the Dutch Boekenweek/Book week). Very simple, very serene, very beautiful. Also by Kelfkens: the cover of the Dutch version of The Hobbit that's reprinted recently. It's a small world after all...
No comments:
Post a Comment