Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sinterklaas

Got myself two fantastic presents for Sinterklaas, the Dutch festive day on which the birthday of St. Nicholas is celebrated by giving and receiving presents. And eating chocolate, marzipan and pepernoten.

Present no. 1 is 'Embroideries', a book written and drawn by the wonderful Marjane Satrapi, who's also the author of 'Persepholis' (graphic novel and movie). I got it from my dear friend M. and I'm sorry to say I already folded some pages a little by stuffing it into my bag together with the chocolate letter A and four mandarin oranges. Crap.



I had to buy a present for my friend R., who is on her way to become a true crocheter. Of course I bought her some cotton yarn and a crochet needle, and I made a little bag for her to keep it in. On the outside I put a felt owl, R.'s patronus since she resembles the goddess Athena so much.



Present no. 2 was a total surprise, from Enzo's sister, for Enzo and me. She found it in a thrift store in Nijmegen, and I like it so much I can't decide where to put it. It's a biscuit tin, maybe from the 60s or 70s? I'm Googling to find out more about it, but it's difficult: it seems that there has been a TV-commercial about 'Molenaar Happy Food' in the 70s, and I get some hits about a book series, with titles like 'Van Eend tot Hert', 'Van Ink tot Lamp' and 'Van Muis tot Kat'. From descriptions I understand that Molenaar was a 'Kindermeelfabriek', a factory which produced flour especially for kids. I should've asked my mother, she probably knows this.
The illustrations remind me of Ingela P. Arrhenius' work, by the way.



Dank u, Sinterklaasje!
(Thank you, Sinterklaas!)

No comments:

Post a Comment